Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Credit Roll

There was this book called whatsitsname that iforgethername wrote using her credit card statements from past several years as a guide to chronicle her life. There is this belief that one can tell a lot about people from just looking at their possessions (see my last blog about refrigerators). Take a cell phone for instance- who is on speed dial/last called/calls received list should presumably be a checklist of the phone owner's lovers, near and dear ones and friends. NO, not in my case. If you were you pick up my phone this very minute,in the last called/calls received list you would meet an assorted group of characters from this REAL reality show called " My home renovation- if tomorrow comes!"

Bharat Traders: Rajesh at Bharat Traders had just the tiles I wanted for the bathroom. He did not have enough number of boxes in stock. He ordered some for me from the factory, only 95% arrived. I call him everyday for the remaining boxes. Backstory I found out over many interactions: He is sick of the tiles business and wants to get into timber, so he keeps a low inventory and even lower level of enthusiasm.

Bijliwallah (The Electrician): A random electrician came by but I never hired him after he tried to hard sell stuff to me that I did not need. I had saved his number as "Bijliwallah" because he insisted I save his number for "any future electrical emergency". Is that a threat?

Chauhan Tilewallah: Another specimen of pure macho confidence. He talked nineteen to a dozen, asked for 1.5 times more than the current market rate for tiling. Since I am yet to read that book called "How to say no when you want to say hell no", I still get calls from him asking me when he should begin work.

ChottelyLal1: Chottey lal is the plumber I heart. He is cheerful, efficient and logical in his approach. He enthusiastically tries and happily executes any innovative ideas that I may have.

ChotteyLal2: This is Chotteylal's other cell phone number. Don't know why he carries two.

Gupta Alu: Short for Gupta Aluminum, i.e the guy who will make our Aluminum sliding windows for what I somewhat euphemistically call my "sun-room". It took us a reallllly long time to find a Al guy who seems to know a bit about Al. He is a new entrant to my pageant of construction crew. Watch this space to see if he put his Alu where his mouth is.

Haleem Contractor: Is the good for nothing contractor I F I R E D! It was the turning point in home renovation because after that turn, the renovation actually started. Haleem nor his crew ever showed up before noon and left for lunch promptly after that. When he did arrive,with talcum powder on neck,carefully creased trousers and tobacco in mouth- He was unsure of what his crew was to do, had done the previous day or planned to do that day. Good riddance, except I have to settle some payment with him for the little , v e r y little work his guys did.

Kajaria: Phone number for Kajaria Tiles Company's head office in Delhi. Will they ever pick up the phone and NOT put me on eternal hold???? All I want to know is if they have three measly boxes of fresca Orange in 8X12 (my back up should Bharat Traders fail me!)

Laldhar: THE electrician. He is quiet, he is intense, he rides a cool black motorcycle and speaks only when spoken to. He knows his shit and he takes no shit...He's THE ELECTRICIAN!

Nikhil Modul: Nikhil the modular shelf guy. He is making huge glass covered bookshelves for us. He is a total sales guy with little design and aesthetic sense. I am hoping he can take instructions well. Why did I hire him? His parents are our family friends and I have seen him grow up. Got to give the kid a chance ( I am foolishly sentimental that way). Will let you know if they remain family friends after the bookshelves arrive.

Roop Chand- The guy who tiles and smiles. This is our tiling guy who is also a general contractor of sorts and is helping us find a carpenter, a marble "ghisai" guy , a painter etc. Before starting work every morning, he changes from pants and collared shirt into a T shirt and hawaiian shorts. Hey, we should all be allowed to do that in our places of work...just see how that affects productivity!

Virender Plumb: Virender was the plumber we had originally hired ( before Chottey Lal of two phones fame came on-board). He seems more like a guy that happened to stumble into plumbing. He knows little and admits it with a shy smile. He is the building's general plumbing go to guy, so I will stay in touch with him for small stuff.

So these are the guys that have taken center stage in my cell phone and my life. I hope most of them will be brief and passing acquaintances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-D still smiling...and shuddering a bit with relief that the days of Leela Ram, Raju Carpenter and Babu Khan are firmly behind me...or so I would like to think.