Sunday, July 13, 2008

Achoooooo!

The last few days have been tough, tough, tough. I have a head cold that just wouldn't go away. So here I am sipping chai with ginger and black pepper and browsing make-me- happy websites and blogs. One of them is ecofabulous. Always ready with sexy, sustainable stuff, their beauty section is so earth-friendly and fabulous smelling( well at least sounding since I don't have smell-o-laptop) that its almost edible.

A few years ago, I happened to read Rona Berg's Beauty:The new Basics. I did not expect much from it except may be a quick cure for whatever my beauty peeve may have been at that point. But is turned things around for me- forever. The book goes over ingredient lists on common beauty products and decodes the mile long chemical names for the lay person. It is not your average dumbed down color-chic-page flipping- beauty book. This one takes you on a ride away from the superstore beauty aisle, down history lane and back into your backyard via your kitchen. I have not used a chemical based shampoo or creme since. And I realized that I have gone back to a lot of "old wisdom" and sometime unglamorous choices. Works fine for me because what chemicals go on us also go in us and we can all do with a little less chemicals in our already over exposed bodies.

In India, I find that I am often the fish swimming in the other direction from the rest of the school. My friend was incredulous when I picked up a un-glam "they still make this!?" kind of soap at a local grocery store. She also perhaps did not like my disapproval of her Labratoire Garniere shampoo. Oh well!

If you are going my way, here's what I have to say. Not all organic- natural things are made equal, so decoding labels and background research on the company is a good start. Then again, companies can change policies and ingredients. When a reputed natural products company like Burt's Bees gets bought over by Clorox, you can only hold your breath and hope you will not smell something bleachy in your next jar of creme!

As for me, I can't wait to find some Eucalyptus leaves to simmer and pour in my bath!

No comments: